St. Matthew's church stands upon the Old Saxon shoreline looking over the Romney Marsh.
The original structure was built around C. 1200 but The Domesday book (1086 A.D.) mentions a church at Warehorne.
The present church shows no sign of Saxon or Norman work.
In 1770 the original tower was struck by lightning and was rebuilt in 1777. The tower was rebuilt in brick rather than stone due to a lack of money.